Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Man with the Gun

I remember the first nightmare that I ever had.  I must have been around 5 or 6 years old and it affected me quite intensely at the time.  There was this wash of awareness that came over me when I woke up, 'I had a scary dream, this is what it feels like to have a scary dream.'

The dream was set in Lloyd mall (in Lloydminster) and I was wondering around by myself.  I came into contact with several members of the cast of my favorite tv show at the time 'Five mile Creek'. One of the characters, I think it was Kate, warned me to, 'watch out for the man with the gun.'  Five mile Creek involved very little shooting so you can imagine the severity of her tone.  I continued to wander around, eventually finding myself in a dentists office.  I was placed in the chair and then a drill that was twice my size was lowered into position above me.  At this point I realized that the dentist was the man with the gun and I couldn't get away, and that's when I woke up.

Last week I came across this on the shelf at the Library:

It immediately brought to memory my dream and I grabbed it off of the shelf.  For a few moments I was actually torn about it though, all those years ago being told to watch out for the man with the gun actually made me second guess watching it.

I went ahead and watched it.  Much to my pleasure it is a great little western with Robert Mitchum at his best (for Mitchum that always includes a streak of the psychotic).  It is one of those movies that sticks pretty tight to it's generic conventions but carries along with it something extra just below the surface.  The violence and sexual tension which are portrayed in the film come across in an unusual way that I can't quite pin down.  There is something about this movie that is both enticing and dangerous, I suppose that's what a good western is supposed to be like.

The discovery of this movie also coincided with a trip to the dentist a couple of days later, not sure what it all means...

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure the experience is contributing to you. Usually it takes you at least three days to move on from the dental visits, this time it was only one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this I went synchronicity hunting on google. "Robert Mitchum" and "Dentist." I thought, if Dave's connection with the collective unconscious led him to these synchronicities, maybe I can find something too. All I found was that his co-star Jane Russell was discovered by Howard Hughes at his dentist's office, and an article by somebody else named Robert Mitchum about how fewer people are going to the dentist during the recession.

    Then I got up from the computer, tripped on a drill, smashed by nose against the wall, and the blood from my nose landed on my hands spelling 'Love' on one knuckle and 'Hate' on the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to point out that Jane Russell just died a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, Mom, and I took the Staten Island Ferry the other day, and there was a US Coast Guard riding in a little boat alongside us. He had a HUGE 50-caliber machine gun, and he seemed to be flaunting it. At any moment, it could have swung around and taken out the entire boat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it was Robert MItchum re-incarnated, or the dentist.

    ReplyDelete