Wednesday, March 23, 2011

In Reference to the small Xiao Wu

The computer synopsis for Xiao Wu that I posted a while ago and the subsequent comments relating to it got me thinking.  I took a synopsis for the Bresson film Pickpocket from Criterion's website and sent it through a translator into Mandarin and back again.

Here is the original:
Robert Bresson’s incomparable tale of crime and redemption follows Michel, a young pickpocket who spends his days working the streets, subway cars, and train stations of Paris. As his compulsion grows, however, so too does his fear that his luck is about to run out. Tautly choreographed and crafted in Bresson’s inimitable style, Pickpocket reveals a master director at the height of his powers.

Translated:

罗伯特布列松 crime and redemption follows the story of incomparable Michel, a young pickpocket who spent the day working the streets, subway cars, and Paris train station. With his force growth, however, so it does not he worried that his luck will soon run out. Tautly dance, in Bresson's unique style of production, pickpockets found that the peak of his master director. 

Then from Mandarin to Japanese to Russian and back again:

Special fabric pine columns crime and redemption is a street 罗伯 Michelle unsurpassed metro cars, work should be devoted to the history of young pickpockets in the train station in Paris. The greater the force of his, but he was not worried about his good fortune to be made ​​immediately. Dansuburesson tight production style, but I found Sri peak director of the wizard.

It doesn't quite surpass the Xiao Wu cover but 'I found Sri peak director of the wizard' is pretty good.  I can picture Bresson dressed as a wizard on the set...




"You shall not pass!"

5 comments:

  1. Haha! Now I am really excited to see Pickpocket.
    I should expect Elves and Trolls too, right?
    I wonder if Bresson changed his name to mark his new "tight" production style...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of me feels like I've just blasphemed against Bresson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Translator is awesome. "You shall not pass"= hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  4. This whole Google translation thing could be a whole new art form. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet there are already a few 'transla-poets' kicking around on the internet.

    ReplyDelete