Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Power, Corruption & Lies

Initially I was going to put up a list of a few of my favorite, tried and true albums, but I don't always like the way lists obscure the value of the titles.  Maybe this will become some kind of series of my favorites, maybe not, but I wanted to start with New Order.



I consistently feel like I 'get it' when I listen to this album.  I'm not sure what I 'get' but I do.  If you don't know New Order, this is where to begin, critics say that it changed the course of pop music.  I have no idea how true that statement is but it makes sense to me.  I included a link to a live performance circa the year of this albums release just so we could all bask in the glory of the early 80's together.


 



2 comments:

  1. I love the album art for Power Corruption and Lies. Whenever I see it I want to smear it all over my life in the form of giant wallpaper - walls, books, cupboards, floors, car interior, mugs,bathtub....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Forrest about the album art. The title, against that image, is great. But unlike you Dave, I don't "get it" with this album -despite repeated open-minded listens, except for a couple great songs (and even 'Age of Consent' is a couple minutes too long for me. Blasphemy -I know). It was the first album I listened to by New Order, but I've since realized that the only album of theirs I enjoy all the way through is Movement -which I love warts and all.

    A lot of people who seem to listen to music in the same way as me seem to like this album a lot though, so I'll probably give it another listen at some point.

    -Matthew

    ReplyDelete