Tuesday, July 5, 2011

God's Country


Since first seeing Louis Malle's God's Country over a year ago, I have found myself returning to it and turning it over and over in my mind.  It's imagery is almost exactly the same as that of my early childhood, a small farming community in the early 80's.  This film makes me feel like I am seeing my own background in exactly the same way that I perceive it now.  The empathy that Malle has for his subject is continually satisfying, particularly when it seems a little bit misplaced.  He is hopeful and consciously naive, it is a beautiful film.

4 comments:

  1. just watched the first segment and I'm definitely hooked. its like an ethnography, and yeah, I like its sympathetic tone. fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this film gets replayed in my mind pretty regularly. It reminded me of my childhood too; Malle has more empathy for the small town folks than I am sometimes able to muster, and I felt like I benefited from his love; it was contagious. Even the obsession with mowing lawns and keeping everything orderly made a little more sense when seen through the eyes of a bemused Frenchman.

    I'm glad I got to watch this movie with you and Forrest, 'cos I think your guys' love was contagious too. Thanks again for turning me on to this little gem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. finished it later last night, and appreciated it for all the reasons mentioned. crazy how archaic and yet also somehow hip to today's issues the early 80s seemed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you both enjoyed it so much. Malle's ability to define his perspective on a specific place and time is so impressive to me. And I agree that the early 80's seem a lot closer to the present than one would normally think of them.

    ReplyDelete